Adult Psychiatric Inpatient Services
There are two psychiatric inpatient units that operate within Prairie Mountain Health: a 25 bed unit located in Brandon called the Centre for Adult Psychiatry (CAP) , and a 10 bed unit in Dauphin called the
Parkland Regional Mental Health Centre.
The Centre for Adult Psychiatry is located in Brandon near the Brandon Regional Health Centre. It is attached to the Assiniboine Centre and its main entrance is on Russell Street. CAP is a non-smoking facility in accordance with Prairie Mountain Health policy.
The Parkland Regional Mental Health Centre is located in Dauphin within Dauphin General Hospital.
Both locations are governed by the Mental Health Act of Manitoba .
How is someone admitted?
Admission to the an adult inpatient unit can be made through:
- Emergency Departments
- Physicians/Private Psychiatrists
- Community Mental Health Workers
- Mobile Crisis or Stabilization Unit
Admissions must be authorized through the psychiatrist on call. Individuals cannot be admitted without authorization. Walk-ins or individuals who self-refer will be re-directed through the above referral agents, as appropriate. Written referrals from physicians must be made in conjunction with speaking to an authorized psychiatrist. Those admitted must be 18-64 years old.
What Treatment and Services are Offered?
Inpatient Psychiatric Units offer the following services:
- Help during times of severe crisis
- Assessment, diagnosis and treatment of mental illnesses (depression, bipolar disorder or schizophrenia)
- Individual support/education
- Medication reviews and/or adjustments
- Medication, illness and wellness education
- Psychological testing/assessment
- Electro Convulsive Therapy (ECT)
- Assistance with planning for continued Mental Health support after discharge
- Family support/education
- Group programs
The team works with the patient, along with family and community supports, to assist the patient achieve his/her personal goals. Your health care team includes:
- Program Manager
- Unit Clerk
- Attending Psychiatrists
- Social Worker
- Recreational Coordinator
- Spiritual Care Advisor
- Occupational Therapist
- You and your Family!